Thursday, May 9, 2013

Family fact sheets for Charles Henry "Halley" Roland

 
Pictured below is a clip of the family group sheet as generated in my Family Tree Maker file, for Charles Henry "Halley" Roland and his wife Sarah Robinson
and their children. Halley being his nickname.
Not included on this list of children were the many children they were foster parents, or guardians for: Including Samantha Laure Roland, who was the daughter of James and Sarah Gardner Roland, Raburn who was on a later court document among the children of William and Jane Rowland,others of William and Jane's children and Silas, a grand son, but I am not sure at this moment who were his actual parents. There were at least one other set of children for whom Sarah and Henry were given guardianship, from neighbors who died and possibly several slave children. Include a couple of young men who were apprenticed before Silas, Raburn and George, and that is a housefull of children!!!
I updated and edited the Roland page to make certain things clearer. There is truly lots more to know about our family. Read the facts from the Roland tab at the top of the page!

2 comments:

  1. Cynthia, I am descended from William Wilson and Mary Rowland. Their son Edward Wilson was born in 1827. He is my great, great grandfather. He married Elizabeth Burleson. Do you have any additional information about my branch of the family?
    Thanks,
    Mike Wilson
    (mbwilson49@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike I apologize for not responding earlier than this. It seems that today is the first time I have seen about a dozen of the messages that have come through on my blog. according to the records, Mary Roland is the second Gr grand aunt of my mother, Virginia Roland. Mary was the child of Henry "Halley" Roland and Sarah (Sally) Robinson/Robertson. She is the second child listed above. About the most difficult thing regarding their families, is that one of the main cemeteries was desecrated by bulldozers. I don't know if it was too overgrown or the company didn't care that they were removing a cemetery. But all that is left is the court ordered headstone saying Henry Halley and Sarah were buried there with some family members, along with some Gibbs family members. It has made some people hard to find. Like my ancestral Grandfather, Mary's brother, Jasper. I don't have any more info going forward on your family line through Mary, but I do have family info going backwards. Henry's father was Charles Henry also, but known as Charles. His Revolutionary War records were listed under another spelling of the Roland name back then: Rolin/Rollin. There is evidence in the census and tax records, back then, of them being listed under both spellings into the early 1800's. Charles was said to have given his birthplace as Hillsboro, NC. And most researchers believe his father's name was George Roland. The only place I have found him so far, was in the Haw Creek area west of Hillsboro. Right name, right time, right place etc. So I wish some day to get more info on him. Some carry the line back to Eastern NC, but I have not the documents to share for that far back. The family land still exists in Yancey County. And there is a little mountain that bears their name. Roland Knob.
    I am concentrating on some Anglin stories for now, but as time goes on, I hope to put up more info on the Roland stories. Hope your searches go far. Sincerely, Cynthia Wilkerson

    ReplyDelete