Sunday, March 16, 2014

200 Acres on the Slate River, VA

I have placed the following information on the Anglin page previously, but today I wanted to discuss it a bit.  I noted that I found -
  • Debbie Cossey Wasserburger records :"The earliest record of Adrion being in Virginia comes from the Commissioners Court of Albemarle County when on 12 Sept 1746 he and eight other men were ordered to keep their road open and clear to the courthouse. He received land patents in VA 1.) 7-20-1748, 165 acres on both sides of Slate River; 2) 3/3/1760 400 acres on Slate River and 3) 8-20-1760, 370 acres south of Slate River all being in Albemarle County, Virginia. Buckingham County was created from Albemarle Co in mid 1770."
                Note: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=gabriel&id=I6456

  • In "Rogers Work In Progress" Rebecca notes similar to the above but adds that he was granted 200 acres by George II. Also she adds that he was a member of the French and Spanish Royal Families, an Admiral in the French Royal Navy before coming to America in 1740. She also notes his occupations as becoming a plantation owner, and also a *constable. 
                   *Court records which sometimes mention his name, call him Constable.

As I was making my notes the evening I found this information, a severe storm hampered my being able to stay online, so I didn't finish the transcription, but the following is what I recorded. I love the old language of these documents.  Notice the flowery way they gave the property to Adrian and his heirs for the sum of 20 schillings...LOL. I can't relate to the value of 20 schillings, but it is often written, "schillings sterling," indicating they were pure silver. Loosely valued at an ounce of silver each, one could feasibly take the value of silver today and multiply it by 20, and know about what he paid for his land in relative terms.

I compared the dates - Adrian requested the court to grant his freedom from indenture in June of 1721.  Here we see he is purchasing this 200 acres in September of 1746.  So 25 years have past.   200 acres was considered a small parcel in those days, but was consistence with what a freed indentured laborer might purchase. And be quite proud of it. However, I don't believe this was his first purchase. It was, rather, additional lands, purchased, not as an humble free man, but to add to his  previous holdings. He is in fact has been well known as the constable at the time of this purchase.

  It always amazes me that documents of this age survive. I wish someday to have a copy of the original, if possible. But for now the online versions and my transcription will have to do.
I have the transcript for the Land Patent for 200 acres from King George. But I don't know the sources for the comment, above, about royalty,or admiralty. I don't discount it, I just don't have backing of my own. It's one of those wonderful tidbits that lead to more research, if I live long enough.

At the time of the Land Patent*, the county was known as Goochland. In fact a very large part of Virginia had been known as Goochland. This is another example of how large parts of the early colonies, were named under counties, divided into districts which often became smaller counties, which were divided and subdivided, in such a way that the county lines changed over the years, and the individual remained on the same land even though it seemed he moved about.  Not always so.  So as I find the records, I simply record it to leave the search for place to a later date.  I found and transcribed the following:

Land Patent to Adrian Anglin from King George II

It reads:

"Goochland County, Virginia

September 25, 1746

Adrian Anglin 200 Acres

George, the Second, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, France and Ireland, King, Defender of the Faith, &c. To all to whom these presents shall come, Greetings. Know ye that for divers good Causes and Considerations, but more especially for and in consideration of the sum of Twenty Shillings of good and lawful money, for our use, paid to our Receiver General of our Revenues in this our Colony and Dominion of Virginia, We have Given, Granted and Confirmed and by these presents for us, our Heirs and Successors do Give, Grant and Confirm unto Adrian Anglin one certain Tract or Parcel of Land containing Two hundred Acres lying and being in the County of Goochland on both sides of Slate River and Rocky Creek and bounded as followeth to wit. Beginning at a Pine Saaplin on the side of a Hill the lower side of the River and running thence new lines South sixty five Degrees West, one hundred and seventy eight Poles" (to be continued. storm>)

(Follow the links to the document and its transcription in whole, 2 ppg. above and at the bottom of the page.)

That is as far as I got, but it peaks my interest to know where that bit of land was. It was very common to tag a tree as a corner post. William Anglin, Adrian's great-grandson, was known to have inscribed the boundaries of his properties in Yancey Co. with his Initials, by carving them into trees.  But alas, that sapling no longer exists with any thing that would Identify it to me, that would say this is the place where Adrian marked his land's corner.  So unless the county plates would have it placed, I have to depend on the estimations of other research.  And there are persons who have put up such maps.  Maybe, one day I will take their map, and go see for myself.

My next post will be an airiel view of where the Covered Bridge at Philippi crosses the Tygart River.  Perhaps, I can check where the Slate River and Rocky Creek converge and do an aerial of that as well.  At least we will be in the general area?  That is how I will begin my quest to find "the Place" of one more Ancestor further back.  Jimmy and I are always up for a new trip.  I have never been to Virginia.

Perhaps, you can come with me one day, at least on a virtual trip.

Later,
Cynthia

* Much thanks to the online records of these documents.

No comments:

Post a Comment